17 January 2014

What to do in Adelaide

My two sisters are arriving tonight to spend the weekend with my husband and I.  I'm really looking forward to it as they have only been to our house once before.  And it's gotten me thinking about what we should do and where I should take them.  It's funny how hard it can be to think of things to do in your own town.  So I have googled and found a few options of what we can do tomorrow and I thought I'd let you know some of them.

1.  Hahndorf  'Australia's oldest surviving German settlement'.


When my Mum came to Adelaide not long ago I took her to Hahndorf and really enjoyed it.  You can walk through all the little quaint shops and peruse the various German souvenirs.  My Mum had recently been to Germany and she said a lot of what you can buy in Hahndorf is similar to what you buy in Germany.  It makes for a fun day wandering the main street and stopping for lunch in Otto's Bakery is a must - they have the best Vanilla Slices ever!  If German food is what you're after then a stop at the German Arms Hotel is a good one.



I love the Central Markets.  They are full of a buzz that you can only get at Markets.  I love the sound of instruments playing and the bustling of happy customers.  You can get fresh meat, bread, fruit, veggies, lollies, etc.... the possibilities are endless!  Not only that you can buy handmade items and clothes.  And once you are wiped from walking amongst the various stalls you can sit down and have one of many different countries' foods.  (Note:  The Central Markets are closed Sunday and Mondays).


Now I know that Hahndorf is part of the Hills but I thought I'd put this as a seperate thing because there is so much else to do up there:
  • Melba's Chocolate Factory  - their chocolate is amazing and there is always taste testing.
  • Beerenburg Strawberry Farm - you can either buy their famous sauces and toppings or go strawberry picking.
  • The Farm Barn -  cuddle and learn all about the lovely animals that live on this farm.
  • Waterfall Gully - This area is absolutely beautiful and if you go in Spring and Summer you will see beautiful fields of lillies.
  • Mt Lofty Summit & Botanic Gardens - There is a restaurant and viewing area at the top of Mt Lofty and also beautiful botanic gardens surrounding it.
 There are  so many things to see in Adelaide and I have only put 3 points.  There is also the shopping at Harbour Town or Rundle Mall, a cruise along the Torrens River on the Popeye, the Zoo and the Adelaide Botanic Gardens only to name a few.

Have you ever been to Adelaide?  What was your favourite thing to do?  I only have Saturday to do something with my sisters as we're busy Sunday but I will let you know what I end up deciding to do.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment